Monday, January 19, 2009

I had a dream

Long live the King. (Martin Luther that is)


While many in the country slept in this morning, watched Oprah, and got to the "early-bird" special at Golden Corral, I was at work.
No company I've been employed with, has ever given this as a paid holiday.
I suppose that there are some positives to this. My 401K didn't drop today, and I'm sure the lines at the post office aren't long. (they generally aren't when they're closed)

As my company recently announced multiple unpaid weeks of forced vacation over the next 6 months, you'd think that they would set aside one of these "holidays" to use on Martin Luther King Jr. day. No dice.

Speaking of crappy times in the economy (again), I recently survived a layoff at my work.
While sending a text message to a couple friends, I was placed in a quandary on the spelling of my sentence.

I am of a different (old-school) breed of text messagers. (not a word) I write everything out in full sentences, careful to ensure that all punctuation and spelling are correct. I'll be damned if some unknown intelligence official is poring over suspect text messages, and has to use text-speak to decipher mine. If anything, they'll consider me a "well-spoken" terrorist.


As you know, most cell phones have a "word" function which lets you type things quickly. This "word" feature will place the most appropriate or most used word based on your key-strokes.

As I typed a text to a couple friends announcing that I had made if through the layoffs, I tried to type layed which my semi-smart phone would not let me do. It allowed laid and I went with it.
As most of my knowledge stems from Google, I found that laid is the correct spelling, and I am a dumb-ass.

As an engineer, the English language has always boggled me.

I thought Metallica was right when they wanted to "lay their head down to sleep, and pray the lord their soul to keep." I thought that if they prayed, then I could also get layed. I was wrong. (for 2 different reasons, spelling and my fat gut)
But then I realized that no matter how much you pay, you are usually paid unless you were in a rowboat, in which you could be payed.
Likewise, you could say something, but it was always said.
To further complicate things, by May, you could be made.

While this "word" auto complete can be helpful, it can also be problematic. You may be texting very quickly, and not notice that the word you MEANT to type, is not what is entered.

Ex.
At a recent family party, I sent a text to a brother-in-law stating "Can you get me a plate?" This was referring to the lengthy food line, and the fact that he was at the front of the line. I didn't want to wait, and thought he could just grab me some food.
Now, what I typed what "Can you get me a plate?" What Samsung thought I meant was "Can you get me a slave?" I sent the message off too quickly to re-read. It's a good thing that I didn't send this to my sister-in-laws African-American boyfriend. He was further back in line.

Dear Verizon/Samsung, can we get the default word for this group of keystrokes to say something besides slave? The numbers 75283 should not generate more racial divide. I have a difficult time finding a use for the word slave in any appropriate text message.

I would hate for there to be a political fund-raiser dinner which costs "$1000 per slave" sent as a text message to all donors. Jesse Jackson would be all over that like "flies on shiv." (There it is again...damn auto-word filler)

9 comments:

dizzblnd said...

I too spell out full words in my text messages unless I am in a hurry (not to get caught at work) I also use the T9 function you speak of here and it is amazing what words it wants to come up with often. It won't recognize "nope". Many a strange texts have come from my son who also uses T9 .

Prefers Her Fantasy Life said...

Can you get get me a slave? Too funny. Turns out my phone is racist too, and a bit prudish about curse words. I think WTF should be in there, don't you?

Alex L said...

I find it best to just yell everything I want, saves predictive text screwing with me.

Father Muskrat said...

Nice. I was at work, too, today.

Dan Brantley said...

It seems a lot of Gen x Y or Z whoever they are now, are using TxtSpk in their resumes and applications too. I am a full sentence, full word, punctuated, writer myself.
English is an amalgam of words from many languages, perhpas the word oriin has something to do with the different spellings?
Wasn't there a riddle that asked "What does ghoti spell? Tha answer is "fish" gh as F in rough, o as i as in women and ti as sh in function.

boisebyufans said...

I don't even know how to text!! Seriously it scares me as do nail guns. Glad you survived and still have a job!!

Gary ("Old Dude") said...

the standard text messaging used by those with little fingers and to much time on their hands, is far beyond spell checking---I myself only leave voicemail messages, or just hang up if the other party doesn't answer---besides, the small little buttons and my fat fingers makes for a lot of frustration.

Pearl said...

Oh, well said! I, too, tend to spell things out.
Nice blog. I'll be back.
Pearl

Mary Moore said...

I hate typing on phones. It's not a good thing. I can barely type on a regular keyboard!

Locations of visitors to this page