Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Real life wins again....

What Father doesn't want to impress and be a role model for his kids? My Dad was my little league coach for many years. Did he do it because he liked the angry parents, crying 9 year olds, or free snow-cones if you retrieved a foul ball? No, he did it because he wanted to be involved in my life, and have more of a hand in my up-bringing.

As parents, we submit ourselves to all sorts of tantrums, hatred, and disgust while we raise our kids. Has your child told you "I hate you" yet? That one hurts. Or better yet--"You hate me."
How many times did you take them to the movies, to Dairy Queen for ice cream, on summer vacation for a 14 hour drive while they fight? All this, and they hate you?
Have you reached the "dorky" stage yet? My daughter is only 8, and already thinks I'm dorky. (although she may be onto something there)

We just purchased a home, and my wife thought the "other owner's karma" would be gone if we painted every single room in the house. So to make the painting go a little quicker, I purchased a "paint-stick." This is a roller that has the paint in the handle so you don't have to get the roller wet in the tray. (it actually works quite well) My 3 year old son was watching me fill up the roller, and then as I was painting the stairwell, he turned to me and said, "Dad, you're awesome." Little did I know the power of the paint-stick. I know he's telling me the truth..because little kids always do. I know this because the previous day as I was telling him a story, he said "Dad, your breath stinks." The truth can hurt.
So next time you spend 45 dollars at the carnival trying to win your son a stuffed animal in a game that is rigged, or spend 300 dollars on sports equipment to get involved with them--remember that you never know what it takes to be "awesome" to them.

2 comments:

boisebyufans said...

You had better watch out or this will turn into one of those sissy blogs about kids and feelings and all that.

Anonymous said...

I've said it before, I'll say it again, you are such a Vagina. Do you need a hug? How about this:

"And the cat's and the cradle and the silver spoon. Little Boy blue and the man on the moon. When you coming home dad, I don't know when, we'll get together then dad, you know we'll have a good time then" Boo frick'n Hoo ya Vag.

-TNO

Locations of visitors to this page