Monday, June 2, 2008

Real life wins again....

Scientists say that the male is the provider and protector for the family. In attempting to fulfill this role, I'll convey to you our current living situation.

We recently moved from a mid-size city to a very small town in Idaho. We were still in the process of selling our home, so I found a place to rent until our home sold. Now the townhouse I found was a decent accommodation in itself...central vac, only a few years old, 3 bedrooms. And to top it all off, it is nestled between the following:
The Interstate on one side.
The railroad tracks on another.
A very old trailer park on another side.

Yeah...I know how to pick em. But it does have a very nice park that is communal for all the townhouses which is directly behind our place. I thought it would be great that the kids could go out and play whenever they want to. What I didn't realize, was that I couldn't keep the other neighborhood hoodlums away from the park either. My children have learned various terms since playing with these kids--"dumpster diving", "bitch", "crack-whore." (OK, I made that last one up) Needless to say....today we are closing on a new home and we'll be moving out in the next couple weeks.

Well, we decided to go on a Sunday family walk yesterday. There is another city park just down the street from us directly across from the trailer park. I thought I'd show you a few pictures from my camera phone that show you how I'm attempting to be the protector for my family.




Nothing says "family fun" like the railroad tracks within spitting distance of the swing-set. The good thing is that my kids can learn Spanish as the train goes by from the graffiti on the cars.



I don't really know how to explain this one. There was one other family at the park while we were there. They had found some old cardboard boxes, and a mickey mouse parasol, and had either constructed a fort, or a meth lab. I wanted to get closer to take this picture, but didn't want to test the validity of my newly purchased life insurance policy. In addition, they have a community trash pick-up bin there...but instead of doggie-doo bags, there are rubber gloves to pick up hypodermic needles. Another good thing, is that there is always a local cop on neighboring streets...so we always feel safe. I wonder why the cops are always around....?

Why is it that many of the mobile homes are poorly maintained? Is it really that difficult to mow 1/10th of an acre, or spray a hose on the grass from time to time? Don't get me wrong...there are a few nice-looking places and yards. But have some pride. Take care of your crap. And wear a shirt. And quit buying pit-bulls. And quit giving the appearance of a yard sale even when you're not. That tears it....I'm moving.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is completely unrelated to your post, but still funny so I thought I'd leave the link here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WdqwnlXpHTQ

Dan

The Hypocritical One said...

How long did this clip take to download on your dial up connection? Hopefully by tomorrow you'll be watching the same cougarboard nonsense I saw.

Anonymous said...

You may be able to attack my internet connection (actually we now have DSL), but unfortunately you can't dispute the contents of the clip. (I especially liked the Kyle Wittingham comment. I'm sure glad you got him rather than us.)

The Hypocritical One said...

I agree that Donko is better for the Y. Who else would poach missionaries while they are still out in the field? Can't you just leave those poor Aggies alone?
Onward..ever onward...NOT!

Anonymous said...

Spoken like someone who is envious of BYU's ability to actually get good players to come play football. Sad that Utah recruits the kid, loses the recruiting battle to one of the worst programs in the country, and then still can't get a look when the kid starts looking for a new school. At least you have women's gymnastics.

The Hypocritical One said...

It does help that every mission president is a recruiter for the Y.
But as Roger Reid put it...you'd be letting 10 million members down.

MeatWad said...

Enough of this. I believe the topic of this blog was the disgusting and embarrassing neighborhood in which you choose to raise your family. Back on topic please.

The Nemesing One said...

Oh meatwad, I've seen your home and neighborhood, maybe we should talk college sports.

Locations of visitors to this page